Roasted Pesto Vegetables with Quinoa
Exhibit E) Quinoa
At the beginning of the school year I bought a large bag of quinoa with dreams of being like one of those people who wears Toms, knits my own socks, and has a pet llama.
I was attracted to the ease and simplicity of this dish. Basically all you do is roast veggies, toss them in basily,garlicy pesto and serve the whole "mess" over hot quinoa.
There is so much flavor in this bowl and all it has is pesto and veggies. Ahhhhhmazing.
It makes not having Toms, warms socks and a llama just a little bit better.
This dish was so amazingly tasty and chock full of health. I ate it hot for dinner and then cold the next day for lunch. Then dinner. Obviously I hated it... ;)
Throw this together. Eat it with your friends, or pet llama.
Roasted Pesto Vegetables with Quinoa lightly adapted from The New York Times
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled, quartered and cut in 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through the stem
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth, or water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup pesto
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread the vegetables in an even layer onto 1 or 2 sheet pans large enough to place all the veggies in a single layer. Place in the top third of the oven and bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Turn the heat down to 375°F and continue to bake until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender all the way through when pierced with a knife, 10 to 20 minutes.
2. While the vegetables are in the oven, cook the quinoa. Bring 3 cups stock or water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa. Bring back to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and translucent, and each grain displays a little thread. Drain through a strainer and return the quinoa to the pan.
3. When the vegetables are tender, remove from the heat and transfer back to the bowl. Add the pesto and stir together. Serve over quinoa.