Garden-Fresh Chicken and Rice
A few months back, I was accepted into an amazing summer internship program. I call it the internship of my dreams because it really is. It combines my major (psychology) and food. Really, I think I was probably born for this. For the longest time it seemed like it was soooo far away. And then all of the sudden, this thing called time caught up with me.
"Oh, hello Rhyann. You're leaving tomorrow!"
To say that I'm excited is an understatement. But like all big exciting things, I'm also really nervous (and underpacked. But that always happens with me and packing).
At this moment, I can't even guess how the summer will play out, but one thing I can always be sure about is what comes out of my kitchen. I made this dish for my mom and myself a few days back.
If you remember my other chicken and rice that I posted a few months back, this is a more summery version. It has fresh zucchini and squash and delicious sweet corn. I cut my corn off the cob by placing the corn upright and using a very sharp knife and downward strokes going away from my body. If you're really handy, you can do it like this guy ;)
This was a simple, delicious, healthy, and fast dish. I loved the sweetness of the corn balanced with the salty, buttery chicken. I can't wait to make it again.
Do you love chicken and rice? Check out another recipe!
Do you have a favorite summer dish? Tell me about it!
Garden Fresh Chicken and Rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth - I made my own with bouillon
- 1 cup jasmine rice (the 20 minute cooking kind)
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound), sliced into 1-inch filets - I got about 3-4 filets per breast
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced thin - I used one zucchini and one yellow squash
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
1. Combine 1 cup broth, rice, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave until broth is completely absorbed, about 6-8 minutes (mine took only 6).
2. Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden-brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
3. Melt remaining butter in now-empty skillet. Cook zucchini (and squash, if using) and corn until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
4. Add par-cooked rice and remaining broth to skillet and bring to a boil. Return chicken, along with any accumulated juices, to skillet and cook, covered over medium-low heat under chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken to cutting board and tent with foil (this helps it to get extra juicy!). Stir veggies and scallions into rice, cover, and let sit until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve chicken with rice and enjoy!
Recipe lightly adapted from Cooks Country